Despite appearances, I haven't deserted my blog. I've thought about posting something, but I just haven't gotten around to it. Life has been busy and there have been some changes recently. And there are more to come.
The main thing going on in my life right now is making a decision about law school. I was accepted at a school near where we live, but after receiving my scholarship information from them, we decided that was not the best option. It was a crummy scholarship award and this particular school is absolutely not worth getting into that much debt. No school would be, in my opinion. But especially not this one. It's a new law school (although the university it's associated with is not new) and has no reputation behind it. Plus, for a new school, they sure are asking a lot for tuition. $32,000 a year! So I withdrew from there and I'm in the process of figuring out what to do next.
Sort of on a whim, I decided to apply to a school that is around four and a half hours from where we live now. It had been on my list of possible schools previously. There were some schools on my list whose standards would make me feel the need to retake the LSAT before I applied to them. Not that I absolutely couldn't get in with what I have now, necessarily, but I would need a higher score to get a better (or any) scholarship. But at this particular school, my LSAT score and GPA are both in their 75th percentile, so I felt comfortable going ahead and applying. I'd like to start school this August and retaking the LSAT would mean waiting another year to start. Anyway, I whipped up a personal statement and got everything in order and submitted my application on February 11th. They have an application status checker, so I was (a little obsessively) checking that to see if there was any movement on my application. Finally, I decided to email the admissions director and ask him if he could give me a ballpark figure about how long it usually takes for a student to receive their decision. He said that I am scheduled to be deliberated upon by the Admissions Committee on February 24th! And he should be able to let me know something on the 25th. Also, scholarship decisions are made within one week of the admission decision and he said it might possibly be made by the 25th! I'm not worried about getting in, but I am really anxious to hear about the money. I wish it didn't have to be such an issue, but it is. We don't want to be in a lot of debt, especially when the legal market is so unpredictable right now and we don't even know if I'll be able to find a good job once I graduate. We have a figure in our head about the amount that will allow us to seriously consider this school, so we'll see what they offer me and go from there.
I think this school would be a great fit for me and I'm hoping it works out. I also think it would be good for my husband and I to live somewhere else. This school is in a city, but it's a smaller city than we live in now. I think both of us are really meant to be country people. We have dreams of one day owning a lot of land, so our neighbors aren't too close and our kids have plenty of room to run around and play outside. The only good thing about living in the city is the convenience factor and having access to so many things nearby. However, when there is so much traffic that it takes forever to get anywhere, that sort of negates any perceived convenience. I live about eight miles from my workplace and it takes about 30 minutes to get there. Crazy.
As for baby matters, those are more or less at a standstill right now. We aren't preventing (not that it matters, obviously), but we are not doing any treatment at this time. Our RE recommended injectables (I assume with IUI), but we have to pay for it all out-of-pocket and we can't afford it right now. And with all the upheaval about law school and the possibility of moving, TTC is on the back burner. Not that I don't think about it, but it's not my priority at the moment. It's actually been nice having some things to distract me from obsessing about it so much. I'm sure once I actually start law school, I'll have even less time to think about babies.
In other exciting news, we are going on vacation in March to our most favorite place! It's one of South Carolina's Sea Islands and we love it there. J has been going there with his family since he was very young and I started going when we were dating. We set up a tent very close to the beach and spend the week doing a whole lot of nothing (i.e. walking around, collecting shells, eating, riding bikes, etc.). We are just hoping the weather will be nice while we're there. I made these reservations last July and would have preferred to go in April of this year, but I think the campsites we wanted were already reserved during that time. At any rate, we are really looking forward to our trip! It will be nice to get away and take a break from our busy lives for a few days.
I'll try not to let so much time go by before I post again!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Glad to hear an update on you!
ReplyDeleteI'm excited to hear about the decision!! Please don't make us hang on waiting for a new post to tell!! I'm also encouraged by the idea that there are scholarships for law school. It's long been a dream of mine; maybe I need to start studying and see if I'd qualify?!
ReplyDeleteGood luck with all the decisions you're facing! Have fun on your vacation...sounds like perfect timing to get away for a bit. :)
ReplyDelete