Jul 5, 2013

We've come a long way!

Time sure does fly when you have a kid, just like everyone says. Mr. K is 15 months old now! He is the most amazing little guy. Fun, sweet, hilarious, adorable, huggy, brave, adventurous, funny...and he most definitely has a mind of his own. He started walking at 10 1/2 months and is always on the move. He loves to climb and get into everything. He is such a boy. He's so curious and interested in exploring. I love it! He is truly a dream come true.

Other than raising a little boy, I have been trying to figure out what to do as far as a career goes. I'm currently an office assistant at a medical center. I really don't care for the term "secretary" to describe myself, but that's essentially what I am. My previous potential career as a lawyer is no longer an option because I don't want to be a lawyer. I think the work would be terribly boring and the market for new lawyers is not great right now. After pursuing this for a while, I decided it wasn't the best choice for me.

So now I'm pursing a career in something that I'm passionate about. It's something I've thought I might like to do for quite a while, but my previous infertility struggle would not allow this to be an option. I could not stand the sight of pregnant women or new babies, so there was no way I could care for them. It was a hurdle I had to get over...a tender place in my heart that had to heal (as my former midwife during my pregnancy put it). Once that place in my heart was healed, by my little boy, I started to think about pursuing a career as a nurse-midwife (which is a nurse practitioner).

I'm really excited about this, but it's going to be a long road to the goal. Due to various circumstances, actually getting started back to school is a challenge. But we are thinking ahead and trying to figure out the best way to make this happen. I really can't think of anything else I could do, as far as working outside the home goes, that would be as rewarding or enjoyable for me as helping women during their pregnancies and as they bring their little ones into the world. One of my midwives (whom I saw during my pregnancy, but who did not attend my son's birth) is an inspiration to me. It's obvious she loves what she does and understands the importance of her work to those she serves. She was unfailingly kind and sweet and focused on me when I was there for an appointment and never made me feel like I was just another pregnant girl in a long line of pregnant girls. I remember when we saw her for the first time, when I was 10 weeks pregnant, and we heard the baby's heartbeat for the first time. She seemed as excited as we were! That made an impression on me. When you are going through something as huge as carrying a child, especially for the first time, it's important to have that support and to work with providers who want you to have the best experience possible. Who see you as a person, not just a patient. And I want to be able to provide that to others.

It seems like a lot of women don't know their options when it comes to childbirth. Or don't even know they have options. So many just do whatever their doctor tells them to  and never question anything. I did a lot of reading and research and spent time working on my birth plan because I knew I had options and I wanted to figure out what was best for my baby and myself. And although a good part of my birth plan was thrown out the window when I ended up having an emergency c-section, I'm not sorry for the time I spent figuring out how I wanted things to be. I learned a lot about birth and about how women's bodies are designed for birth. I learned how unneccessary so many of the interventions that are often done in birth really are. I think it's important for every woman to do her research and to find a provider who will support her decisions and choices.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.