Aug 25, 2011

10 Weeks and 2 Days

We had our first appointment with the nurse-midwife group on August 23rd at 10 weeks. It went really well and I think I'm really going to be happy working with them. We saw Lauren, who will be my "primary" midwife, by virtue of the fact that she was the first person I saw. She was really nice and had an easy way about her. I'll see her at my next appointment, but then they encourage you to see other midwives also, so you have a better chance of having some familiarity with whoever happens to be on call when it's time for you to deliver.

We mostly just talked at this appointment. She gave me a book that they give all their clients called "Our Bodies, Ourselves: Pregnancy and Birth". I haven't started it yet, but plan to this weekend. We discussed the Prometrium I've been taking. I told her my RE wanted me to start weaning off of it this week, but that I'd like to take it a little longer if it was okay. She said it was okay to take it up until 12 weeks, but I should stop it at that point. So just a few more days of that!

We got to hear our baby's heartbeat for the first time! It took her a moment to find it. When she did, she got this big smile on her face and said, "Awesome! It's in the 160s. It's perfect." She told me before she looked for it that since I was only 10 weeks, she wasn't sure if she'd be able to find it and she wouldn't be worried if she couldn't. (Of course, I would've been worried.) After she found it, she thanked me for being skinny! I guess if I wasn't, she might not have been able to find it this soon.

I purchased a fetal doppler to use at home and we tried it out for the first time after our appointment. It arrived the day before, but I figured it would be better to wait until after the midwife had found it to try it out...that way if we weren't able to locate the heartbeat, we wouldn't worry because we would know it was there. J was able to find it, but just for a moment, then I guess the baby moved. I have been able to find it every time I've tried since then. It's just so reassuring to hear it. Since our next appointment isn't until October 4th, the doppler is going to be my best friend. I might lose my mind having to wait that long to know things were okay, so I'm very thankful I have the doppler to give me peace of mind. Plus, it's just cool to hear the heartbeat!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.